Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 1

March 1st. Here we are. Year 2, Segment 3, Day 1. Also my aunt's birthday and my sister's 21st birthday. What a crazy kind of day.

One of the things I've come to appreciate about our training segments is the schedule it puts me on. Working at Interlake is great fun, but being a substitute does not result in a normal schedule. Working full-time one week and not at all the next week when I didn't plan to go on vacation is just confusing. This puts me on a solid schedule for a full month, and it's kind of a relief. Up around 7:00, out of the house at 7:40 (7:30 if I want to stop for coffee on the way), pick up the first part of my carpool at 7:55, pick up the second part of the carpool at 8:00, a half hour drive over to the beautiful St. Edward's Park in Kirkland, a little free time, and class at 9:00. A break around 10:15, lunch around noon, another break around 1:45. Done at 3:00, home by 4:30.

Our days are spent on our mats, similar to yoga mats but wider and not quite so thick, mostly doing Awareness Through Movement lessons (ATM - a vocally directed class, looks like yoga), practicing Functional Integration lessons (FI - hands-on one-on-one work, looks like massage) on each other, talking about what we're learning, or watching old recordings of a training that Moshe taught in the 80s, just before he died. Some people also spend a lot of time sleeping, although while allowed and encouraged (a nap is time for your brain to process a change in the way you move), it's not usually intentional. I spent most of Segment 2 asleep. I don't know why exactly, although I did find out an interesting factoid today that could explain part of it. Did you know that the prefrontal cortex in your brain deals with emotion, personality, behavior, and judgement, and in doing so, uses the most calories of any part of your body? I must of had a lot of emotional processing to do that I wasn't entirely aware of. I wonder how this segment will compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment