Friday, May 14, 2010

Hip Replacement Missionary?

I just had a very strange experience. I was walking through a parking lot from the bank to my car, and a woman in her mid-thirties stopped me to ask me a question.

"Excuse me, but do you mind if I ask you a question about your gait?"

The only people who use the word "gait" on a regular basis are physical therapists, orthopedic doctors, and horseback riders. Everyone else just asks about my limp or the way I walk. This seemed intriguing.

"Sure."
"Did you have a hip replacement?"
"No..."
"Do you have hip dysplasia?"
"Yes..." (thinking: how does she know that?!)
"I used to have a gait just like yours. I had hip dysplasia and congenital [something I haven't heard of before and don't remember], and I got a hip replacement. It was the best decision I ever made."

She goes on for a bit about how self-conscious she had been of her limp (only hers was "100 times worse" than mine), back pain, etc. I mention that I'm avoiding having anymore surgery. She knows all about how that goes, but encourages me anyway. This is sounding more and more like someone trying to sell me something. Apparently a place called the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is the spot to get a hip replacement done.

She eventually finishes. "Don't wait too long like I did!" We part ways.

She was so convinced that her solution was the best solution that I actually didn't get a chance to tell her that I'm not self-conscious about my walk, I'm rarely in pain, and I have a relatively healthy hip socket, despite my gait, and that I've found other ways to help myself get through life without another surgery. She only seemed interested in selling me a Mayo Clinic hip replacement surgery, and probably wouldn't really have listened if I had told her all of that. I'm very glad she's happy, but, well... Thanks but no thanks.

7 comments:

  1. How odd. Not much more to add, just huh. Surgery isn't just something I'd push to someone on the street even if I thought I'd been through a similar situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mayo Clinic is a really good overall medical place. They do a lot of applied research there, which is how I know them. All of that being said, you clearly shouldn't be pressured into major surgery if you don't feel it's needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ending to this story, it is very brave and refreshing. You are fantastic and your gait is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think she's just to trying to promote. if surgery is not necessary then why bother having one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting story. I'm sure you were shocked by her approach. Sometimes people think that what was best for them it can help others too. I'm sure she had only good intentions but being so pushy I would have backed off too. Well, anyway, the only person who should be advising you on such major decisions should be your doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant post. I think everyone should have a second option when it comes to healthcare. Benenden Healthcare Services have looked after my family and I for the past 20 years and I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just make sure to ask for a second opinion before engaging into anything else. Surgery is good but it's a tough decision to make because your safety is at stake in this situation.
    This is not to discourage you but I have read a lot of articles discussing the harmful effects of a having a hip implant surgery. It also did mention that some patients even resort to filing a DePuy hip lawsuit to get compensation from the damages and harms that they have suffered.

    ReplyDelete