Thursday, June 14, 2012

I'm not sure what to call this post.

In the month since Segment 7 ended (has it really only been a month?), I've made a strange and occasionally maddening physical discovery. Thanks to an FI practice we did in class about side-to-side rib movement, I've figured out my scoliosis. I can tell you, without feeling with my hands, the location of the curve and twist in my spine. (Did you know part of a scoliosis is a twist, not just a curve? That was news to me.) I can even play with very subtly changing the curve and untwisting the twist, but it takes so much concentration that it makes me feel a bit like I'm putting myself into a trance. I have to be careful with how much I play with it - too much makes me feel a little sick, but it's exciting nonetheless! I love the idea of my scoliosis not being there or at least being smaller, and knowing something about how it works is the first step to getting there.

It's been a busy month of work, dancing, gardening projects, visits with people I don't get to see often enough, a whirlwind of a trip to California, and some time spent figuring out how this whole starting a professional Feldenkrais practice thing works. Did I mention I'm graduating in 4.5 months? October and Segment 8 are coming up really fast. I'm mildly terrified of that idea, but it's becoming less terrifying and more doable as I get more advice on what to do between now and then and what to do after I graduate.

What to do between now and then? Work with as many people as I can. I need to get better at that one and actually contact the list of people I have who are interested. Continuing to journal the lessons I give will also be helpful in terms of figuring out my preferences/habits/patterns in lessons. I'm also considering asking a local practitioner if she would be interested in letting me mentor with her for a little while, to observe lessons and get more advice.

After I graduate? Marketing, marketing, and more marketing. And networking. And website building. And more marketing. I know very little about any of that, but luckily I've already discovered that a good friend of mine knows a whole lot about marketing a one-person business, and I've got a bunch of friends in the broad field of body work who I can start networking with.

I'm beginning to think I can actually do this.

1 comment: